Sony Xperia XZ3 succeeds Sony Xperia XZ2, and in this review, see the upgrades in the new smartphone and also the prices of the phones in Kenya. It is all about Sony Xperia XZ2 Vs Sony Xperia XZ3 phones which come with variants such as base, compact and also premium. See also the phones’ full specs and features.
In Brief, Sony Xperia XZ2/XZ3 Specs
- Screen – 5.7/6.0 inches
- Camera – 5, 19/13, 19MP
- RAM – 4, 6GB
- Storage – 64GB
- Network – LTE
- Processor – Octa-core (4×2.7GHz and 4×1.7GHz)
- OS – Android 8.0/9.0
- Battery – 3180/3300mAh
- Price – KSh. 55,000/80,000
Sony Xperia XZ2/XZ3 Display
The XZ2 has a 5.7-inch IPS LCD screen while the XZ3 boasts a 6.0-inch P-LED one. Both are capacitive multitouch (up to 10 fingers) and have features such as 16M colors, 18:9 aspect ratio, 424/537 PPI density, HDR BT.2020 (compliant), Triluminos display, X-Reality Engine and also Corning Gorilla Glass 5.
Other display features include 76.1 percent StB ratio, 1080x2160px resol. (older phone) and 80.5 percent StB ratio, 1440x2880px resol. (newer phone).
The rear camera is same for both devices – 19 MP (f/2.0, 25mm (wide), 1/2.3″, 1.22µm, predictive PDAF and laser AF). Other features of this camera include LED flash, panorama and also HDR. The available video resolutions include 2160p@30fps, 1080p@60fps, 1080p@30fps (5-axis gyro-EIS), 1080p@960fps and also HDR.
As for the front camera, the preceding phone features a 5MP (f/2.2, 1/5″) camera with a video resolution of 1080p@30fps (gyro-EIS). The successor has 13MP (f/1.9, 23mm (wide), 1/3″, 1.12µm) camera with HDR and a video resolution of 1080p@30fps (5-axis gyro-EIS).
Memory and Platform
For both phones, the RAM is 4 or 6GB and the internal memory stands at 64GB. The dual SIM model, however, has a card slot (SIM 2 slot) that can take up to 512GB microSD.
The platform is also pretty similar for the two phones. The components include:
- Octa-core (4×2.7GHz Kryo 385 Gold and 4×1.7GHz Kryo 385 Silver) CPU
- Adreno 630 GPU
- Qualcomm SDM845 Snapdragon 845 (10nm) chipset
As for the operating system, the outgoing variant comes with Android 8.0 (Oreo), upgradable to Android 9.0 (Pie) while the new variant already runs the latter Android version.
Connectivity and Communication
First, the two Sony phones boast the LTE support and use the following SIM system – single SIM (Nano-SIM) or hybrid dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by).
Second, there are communication features such as:
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/ b/ g/ n/ ac (dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, hotspot)
- Bluetooth 5.0 (A2DP, aptX HD, LE)
- GPS (A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO)
- USB 3.1 Type-C 1.0 reversible connector (USB Host)
In addition, the gadgets have related connectivity features like the following sensors – fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, barometer, compass and also color spectrum.
Here, there is a 3.5mm jack (only XZ3), and this feature comes with 24-bit/192kHz audio, dynamic vibration system and also active noise cancellation with dedicated mic. Other multimedia features include alerts (vibration, MP3 and WAV ringtones) and loudspeakers (stereo).
These features include audio formats (MP3, eAAC+, WAV, Flac) and video formats (Xvid, MP4, H.265). There is also a document viewer and photo/video editor. Some more features include the HTML 5 browser and messaging options like SMS (threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Email and also IM.
Sony Xperia XZ2/XZ3 Battery
The newer phone has an upgraded battery – 3300mAh (older phone with 3180mAh). The non-removable Li-Ion batteries support Qi wireless charging and fast battery charging (Quick Charge 3.0) and offer long battery life.
Design, Material and Color
Concerning the design, the phones are sleek and also quite user-friendly. The bodies can resist dust and water – IP65 and IP68 (up to 1.5m for 30 mins).
The XZ2 measures 153.0×72.0x11.1mm and weighs 198g while the XZ3 measurements stand at 158.0×73.0x9.9mm and weighs 193g.
When it comes to the material and color, there is glass and aluminum and the colors include XZ2 (liquid black, liquid silver, deep green, ash pink) and XZ3 (black, silver white, forest green, Bordeaux red).
Sony Xperia XZ2/XZ3 Price in Kenya
The two phones are a bit expensive. The price of the Sony Xperia XZ2 in Kenya is between KSh. 55,000 and KSh. 80,000 (around $550 and $800). On the other hand, the price of the Sony Xperia XZ3 in Kenya is in the range KSh. 80,000 and KSh. 90,000 (around $800 and $900).
Sony Xperia XZ2/XZ3 Full Specifications
- Type – GSM, HSPA, LTE
- Date – –
- Dimensions – 153.0×72.0x11.1mm
- Dimensions (2) – 158.0×73.0x9.9mm
- Weight – 198g
- Weight (2) – 193g
- Material – Aluminum + glass
- Dust and waterproof – Yes (IP65 degree, up to 1.5m for 30 mins)
- Dust and waterproof (2) – Yes (IP68 degree, up to 1.5m for 30 mins)
- Type – IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen
- Type (2) – P-LED capacitive touchscreen
- Size – 5.7 inches
- Size (2) – 6.0 inches
- Screen-to-Body Ratio – 76.1 percent
- Screen-to-Body Ratio (2) – 80.5 percent
- Resolution – 1080×2160 pixels
- Resolution (2) – 1440×2880 pixels
- Aspect Ratio – 18:9
- PPI Density – 424
- PPI Density (2) – 537
- Colors – 16M
- Protection – Yes (Corning Gorilla Glass 5)
- Multitouch – Yes (up to 10 fingers)
- Single – Single SIM (Nano-SIM)
- Dual – Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual standby)
- Single – 19MP (f/2.0, 25mm wide, 1/2.3″, 1.22µm, predictive PDAF and laser AF)
- Features – LED flash, panorama, HDR, etc
- Video – 2160p@30fps, 1080p@60fps, 1080p@30fps (5-axis gyro-EIS), 1080p@960fps, HDR
- Single – 5MP (f/2.2, 1/5″)
- Single (2) – 13MP (f/1.9, 23mm wide, 1/3″, 1.12µm)
- Features – HDR
- Video – 1080p@30fps (gyro-EIS)
- Video (2) – 1080p@30fps (5-axis gyro-EIS)
- RAM – 4, 6GB
- Storage – 64GB
- Memory card slot – MicroSD (up to 512GB for dual SIM model on SIM 2 slot)
- CPU – Octa-core (4×2.7GHz Kryo 385 Gold and 4×1.7GHz Kryo 385 Silver)
- Chipset – Qualcomm SDM845 Snapdragon 845 (10nm)
- GPU – Adreno 630
- OS – Android 8.0 (Oreo)
- OS (2) – Android 9.0 (Pie)
- Custom user interface – –
- USB – 3.1 Type-C 1.0 reversible connector (USB Host)
- Bluetooth – 5.0 (A2DP, LE, aptX HD)
- WLAN – Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (dual-band, direct, hotspot, DLNA)
- GPS – Yes (A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO)
- NFC – Yes
- FM radio – –
- Loudspeaker – Yes
- 3.5mm jack – –
- 3.5mm jack (2) – Yes
- Infrared port – –
- Sensors – Fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, barometer, compass, color spectrum
- Type – Non-removable Li-Ion
- Capacity – 3180mAh
- Capacity (2) – 3300mAh
- Power supply – –
- Charging time – –
- Fast charging – Yes (Quick Charge 3.0)
- USB power delivery – –
- Wireless charging – Yes (Qi)
- Standby – –
- Talk time – –
- Music play – –
- Internet use – –
- Battery life – –
- Endurance rating – –
- Type – Bar
- Bezel – Minimal
- Variety – Liquid black, liquid silver, deep green, ash pink
- Variety (2) – Black, silver white, forest green, Bordeaux red
- Charger – Yes
- USB cable – Yes
- SIM card ejector – –
- User manual – Yes
- Pin – –
- Protector case – –
- Protector film – –
- Warranty – –
- KSh – 55,000
- KSh (2) – 80,000
Although we do thorough research for our content, we don’t guarantee the specifications and features are 100 percent correct.
Loved our review? Well, subscribe for more on the subscription section!